Sunday, July 6, 2008
Blackberry pickin'
It is Sunday afternoon and the grass is mowed, the trimming and edging is done and it is a warm but a very pretty 94 degree day and just could not sit inside and watch tv. So we get on the 4 wheeler and ride through the back pasture to check on the progress of the wild blackberry bushes growing along the fence row. They are coming along nicely and some are just begging to be picked. So we do. I eat about ten percent of what is picked. This kind of reminds me of my trip to Ireland a couple of years ago. The blackberry bushes grow wild along most of the back roads. We took many opportunities that week to stop the waste of over ripened blackberries. However I do not remember the bushes being so thorny. I have scratched up arms and legs and several thorns stuck in my hands and fingers but it is worth it. They are so very sweet and good. I may get a belly ache a little later, but again I think it was worth it. It is a shame that I cannot eat fruit cobbler anymore, because there would not be a blackberry safe on the whole place. As we head back to the house from the back pasture, the cows are waiting to be fed. It is still too early, but I guess their watches are running fast
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment